Bohemian shoes I love…

Bohemian – Day 28

It is my firm belief that any mom could instantly look a thousand times better by simply changing two items in her closet — jeans and shoes.  It’s really the bad mom jeans paired with the bulky, white sneakers that gives us all a bad reputation.  It’s a combination that just screams, “Hello, world. I’m a mom that’s given up!”

Buying a pair of nice, dark, expensive jeans is easy enough to do – they’re everywhere.  It’s the shoes that are more difficult because they require more – they need to be comfortable and they need to stay on your feet if your child suddenly decides to make a break for it in a crowded parking lot and you need to leap a few cars, a senior in a motorized scooter and a line of grocery carts to catch them.

Bohemian footwear can help out enormously here.  Out of the four styles I’ve tried so far this year (Rock and Roll, Euro chic, Mod, Bohemian), bohemian shoes have most suited my comfort and “emergency child grabbing” needs.

I have two brand favorites – Dansko and Birkenstock – both companies that pride themselves on keeping your feet happy and chic.

Bohemian_Dansko

I bought these Dansko sandals specifically for my Bohemian month and I LOVE THEM.  They are so comfortable and because the toe is closed, I don’t have to worry about how the pedicure my daughter gave me actually looks like in the sunlight.

Then, of course, these Birkenstocks are Hall of Fame for me –

84512I get a new pair every summer and wear them until they are so gross Goodwill won’t even take them.  Just don’t get them wet – they will never feel the same again and you will feel like you just accidentally drowned your best friend.

I also bought these shoes for my Bohemian month –

Bohemian_guitar

I got them for twenty dollars at a consignment store and I have fallen, not once, but twice in them.  I could not catch a snail in a parking lot with them on.  This also explains why I’m sitting down in the picture.  I love them with this outfit, but I’d need to be carried everywhere in order to wear them, which is fine by me, but I just don’t know how I’d advertise for that kind of thing on Craigslist.

Bohemian_royalty

I’m putting together a chic, mom footwear list (any style footwear), so if you have a pair or brand of shoes you swear by, please let me know and I’ll post them.  It is my dream that one day, all moms, regardless of size, color or age, can rise above their big, white sneakers.  It might be a long road for all of us to get there, but at least at the end of it, we can put on good shoes.

• Jen says:

Yay shoes! The brands I love most are Born and Sbicca.

• Kalina says:

I just discovered Pumas. I mean, I’ve always known they exist, but I just discovered how amazingly wonderful (and fashionable) they can be! They are sneakers, but they come in so many cute color combos and are very lightweight and low profile (unlike the “clunky,” white sneaks you mentioned.) Who knew the most comfortable tennis shoes I’ve ever owned would also be the most stylish and affordable?

• Nicole says:

I totally concur with your advice. And while moms are it, ditch the hoodies for anything but bed! I also love the brand NAOT for great shoes that are also cute, and I like Miz Mooz as a non-orthopaedic brand that is still super comfy even for those of us with bad feet who nonetheless insist on cute shoes. Love your blog (recently discovered through ANMJ!)

Thanks so much! I will look up those shoes and add them to the list. I’ve never heard of them!

• I live in LA, and for my birthday I had a stylist friend come over and help me clean out / clean up my closet. She tried to get me to part with my Birks — I have yours, in silver and bronze. We nearly came to blows. I will never ever ever let them go!

The birks are a must! I totally agree. By the end of the summer my feet have Birk tan lines…

• Laura says:

I like Crocs– not the original clompy shape, but the newer mary jane, ballet flat, etc shapes. I love my Danksos, Sanitas, and Birks, but I appreciate the lightweight, waterproof, smaller-profile Crocs too– I am less likely to look potted when I wear them with skinny jeans.

Thanks for creating this great blog!

Thanks! I will check out the smaller crocs and add them to the list with the Sanitas!

• Rochelle says:

I always find Born shoes comfortable and they have lots of cute styles.

• Tara says:

I’m a huge fan of Yellow Box flip flops. I’ve had a couple pairs. I wore them after I broke my foot, this how comfortable they are. We live in Hawaii, so we live in flip flops. ;) Here’s the pair I’m currently wearing:

I’ve never heard of these shoes! Thanks so much for the tip. I will check them out!

• Finicky Cat says:

Oh, amen to the shoes list! Wish I had something to contribute, but my most *comfortable* footwear is…socks; and my most *elegant* footwear is just as practical as your lovelies above. Good luck with that Craigslist ad!

Socks are the best. I just bought a pair of those socks that separate your toes — they look weird but maybe they are comfortable…