A sporty chic outfit for all occasions…

Sporty Chic – Day 10

Yesterday, I had a bit of a clothing dilemma.  My daughter and I were going to look for Indian arrowheads in a riverbed so I needed an outfit that could handle mud and water.  Also, it was cold and windy outside so there was no way I could wear a sporty chic dress and sandals.  Then, after my daughter and I had gotten wet and muddy and had illegally taken some ancient Native American artifacts, we were going to meet the men in our lives (husband, two brothers) for sushi.

So the outfit needed to be for:

Cold

Water

Mud

Trampling on sacred ground

Wind

Eating raw fish

I decided to go with “explorer” clothes – you know, an outfit you might wear if you were about to board a single engine plane in Tanzania to go look for rhinos.

Sporty_Chic_Laguna_Walk

I found the jacket at Athleta.  I love this jacket so much.  It reminds me of Amelia Earhart and Jane Goodall and all those lusty, adventurous women I have so much admiration for.  I paired it with a long-sleeve striped t-shirt and Capri jeans.

Sporty_Chic_Laguna_Detail

Then, to complete my look and prepare for the mud involved in my day, I decided to wear these shoes –

Sporty_Chic_Ugly_Toe_Shoes

OMG!!! These are the ugliest shoes in the entire world!  Functional?  Yes.  Comfortable.  Absolutely.  Unsightly?  They make me want to gouge my eyes out.

I got these bad boys at the REI sale for half off.  I’ve seen people wear these around town and I’ve always thought… You shouldn’t be wearing those shoes out and about.  It’s creepy.  I don’t want to see your toes all separated like that.  It’s like seeing a stranger wearing pants that deliberately separated their butt crack.

On the bright side, they do make my feet look big and fat and wrinkly on top.  They worked great in the river bed and that’s where they will stay – They will be only used for tide-pooling, getting canoes in and out of the water and walking on really painfully pebbly beaches…

That is my pledge to the people of Earth.

By the way, I changed into cute shoes for sushi…

• mommydear says:

Seconding explorer wear!

• Hannah Avery says:

I love such shoes for muddy rocky things too! I won’t be without a pair for summer!

-Hannah

• rebecca says:

“By the way, I changed into cute shoes for sushi…”

THANKGOD…Because I was going to have to come down there and slap you. Even if you got those shoes for free it would be too much. No more, I beg you!

yes, they really are ugly. I swear I will never wear them — only to the river and I will never photograph them again.

• Tao of Tina says:

I feel the exact same way about the “shoes.”

Yes, what are they called anyway?

• Mary Beth says:

Skeletoers? Scary-looking, like Skeletor from He-Man, and…
        never mind. I just realized I may be the only person here old enough to remember He-Man.

I remember He-man. Also Stretch Armstrong. That was a doll I also wanted as a kid but never got. I looked Stretch up on ebay a few years ago to fulfill my childhood wish and he was going to hundreds of dollars!

• Jenn says:

The top half of your outfit is really cute, I am so glad that the shoes are activity-specific for you. I know a couple that only wears those because they think it makes them look outdoorsy-cool. I don’t like this couple so it gives me much glee to see them slapping their shoes that give them big gorilla feet around town.

I can’t imagine a couple wearing those shoes around town. Double horror. I met a teacher wearing those the other day and I thought, I don’t think I could let you teach my children — I question your knowledge based on your choice of footwear.

• Mary Beth says:

Let me set the record straight. These are actually NOT the ugliest shoes on earth. I received the ugliest shoes on earth as a Christmas gift several years ago from my now-ex, super-passive-aggressive Aint Julia (that’s “aunt Julia” in Mississippian). They were crap-brown Crocs. This was before Crocs became ‘mainstream’. And they didn’t look new. As they sat there, nestled in parti-colored Christmas wrap (an irony that I cannot begin to do justice to), I could feel them suck all the joy out of the room. Then my (now-ex) hubby unwrapped his matching pair. The ambient light faded, and suddenly the world looked grey. We had to throw a blanket over them, and scoop them up and wrestle them out of the room. They were the Dementors of footwear.

I wore them a year later when I hosed down/scrubbed out the patio before turning the house we were renting back over to the agency, and they made my Achilles tendons inflamed and so painful, I couldn’t set my heels down, and had to wear high-heels for the next four days (I know. Tragic.)

So they weren’t merely the ugliest shoes on earth, they were evil as well.

So all humor aside, please be careful in those crazy skeletor-shoes. I have runner friends who love them, but say that if you don’t give yourself time to get used to them, you can injure your feet and ankles. So maybe wait awhile on that 5k!

Thanks Mary beth! That is such a funny croc story! I hate crocs also. They really are so ugly, although my kids got some as a gift and they looked cute on them. Adults — never. And brown crocs. I’ve never even seen those! I will be careful with the ugly-toe shoes. I really will wear them only at the river….

• Rebecca says:

I love the jacket! it looks super comfy and really cute. and very functional!!! A++ on that one!