Two gyms, no exercising…

Day 23 – A Month of Maxi Dresses…

During my month of Sporty Chic, I joined a local gym to start my long road back to “mom fitness”. And it was the Sporty Chic clothes that definitely made me do this.  Nothing inspires you to go a six am boot camp class like seeing your butt in broad daylight in stretch pants.  I exercised on a regular basis until July when I hit, “A Month of Maxi Dresses”.  Maxi dresses are so big and roomy they just seem to say, “Come on, Holly, sit on the couch and let’s eat a big tub of ice cream together.  It’ll be our little secret….”

July_Dress_Driveway_Black_Stripe

So the exercising stopped.  Then came the next gym.  Every summer, my friend Ann and I join a “fancy” gym for a month that has two pools, a hot tub and great classes for kids.  We go almost every day and the kids love it.  They also have state of the art gym equipment and tons of yoga and spinning classes.

And yet, I don’t exercise there either.  So that makes a grand total of two gym memberships and one still flabby body hidden behind dresses so vast they could be used to termite tent a house.

maxi_dress

I think the only way to remedy this situation is to make August, “My month of wearing just a thong in public”.  Then I would definitely start to exercise.

I might even join a third gym.

• Melissa D says:

I had 3 kids in just under 4 years. At the gym they kept giving my baby’s bottle to another kid! …I finally bought a treadmill, stuck it in my laundry room, and got a monitor and Roku to put on a shelf. Now I exercise and stream Netflix/Amazon, I can still see the kids playing in the den, and I spend time actually exercising and not rounding up the kids for a commute to the gym. Even hopping on and off for 10 mins a time is better than nothing. (I bought my NordicTrack treadmill at the Sears Outlet for 60% off… I think $900? About the same price as a year’s gym membership for us including childcare. Totally worth it!!!)

Also: you look fabulous, whether you think so or not.

What a great idea! I would totally get a treadmill, but the only problem is our house is 850 square feet! I kid you not! We were living in Los Angeles in a big old house and when we moved to the country we were on a mission to live the simple life. So we bought basically a cabin on six acres. I loved it for about four years, but now with three kids and two parents and two dogs and three cats — it’s getting soooooo cramped.

But one day when we add on to the house and build a barn, I am so putting a treadmill in it with a flat screen! Thanks for the advice!

• Lesia says:

Why bother with the thong then?

• I love the dress ! Where is it from ?!

Banana republic. It’s really comfortable… and you don’t have to wear a strapless bra because the dress has such wide straps!

• Jenn says:

Well you’d certainly double your traffic during thong month. Just not with the right kind of visitors.

That’s true. I never thought of that. I’d be right up there with that walmart shopper website.

• Mary Beth says:

Hmm. Maybe next month should be “Bond Girl” month. Kind of a combo of retro, plus modern, plus sci-fi? All fitted, and keeping your honest :D

You know, I love the bond girls. I never thought of that! It’s like pretty, but you could also beat up someone while wearing heels.