When can a mom start wearing white again?

Gamine – Day 28

NEVER!

Well, at least for me.   I haven’t worn any white clothes in almost ten years.  Before I started my blog, most of my clothes were a kind of a beige cat puke color — clothes you could get serious yuck on and then trick yourself into believing that no one could tell.

All_white

I wore this outfit for my glamorous Gamine photo shoot.  I felt like maybe I could wear white again, so I put it on, ran out of the house, took some pictures and as I was running back into my house to tear off the outfit and quickly put it in protective shrink wrap, I noticed the pants had gotten dirty.  There were no children or animals within ten feet of me the entire time I was taking pictures, and so, the only conclusion I came to was that dirt just leapt on me.  You know, like the dirt was thinking… Well, well, well, let’s teach miss white fancy pants a thing or two…

I know it wasn’t the running into the house that got me dirty because I was doing that weird mincing/hopping motion people do when they’re trying not to get their heels stuck in the ground.  It’s not quite as weird as the “trying to avoid getting wet in the rain dance”, but it’s a close second.

The whole white thing is too bad because Gamine is such a white style – crisp, clean, and oh, so lovely.  I’m not sure when a mom can safely wear white again.  Does anyone know from experience?  Or even more intriguing, are there any moms out there that wear white with young children?  If so, what are your secrets?

I await, Oxyclean in hand, for your replies…

• taqah says:

I found your post after googling “wearing white mother” (which by the way mostly leads to boring mother-in-law dilemmas about wedding day clothing and rants by uptight brides.)

So sad… I was hoping I would find that it’s easy to wear white with toddlers because there is a beautiful white dress I so badly want to buy (but worry that it would be ruined within the month.) Sigh… I will be buying it in the berry or navy color.

You look lovely though.

Thanks! I think it’s true with white — it’s hard to pull off with kids unless you use a lot of clorox or don’t mind stains during the day.

• Cheryl says:

You look amazing!
    Yu would do well with a simple, modern style a la Gwenyth Paltrow/Jennifer Aniston.
    Blacks, creams, grays, no prints, great, tailored clothing.
    Sounds expensive. But.

• Angela says:

I haven’t worn white pants since 1993. You look great. I don’t know how women do it other than having a ” whatever” attitude. :)

• Vildy says:

whatever this is you’ve found your style. This silhouette – and color! – really suits you. And the great bookending with your hair, that’s been mentioned. And no Mom jeans in sight. :D

• Marsha Calhoun says:

White: When your kids have completely graduated from peanut butter (or whatever the equivalent is in your universe – the one substance that seems to follow you around and appear out of nowhere and apply itself relentlessly to your clothes and hair), you may attempt to wear white without constant apprehension. You’ve got a ways to go. But if you are willing to shine for one brief moment while wearing flattering whites such as those in your photograph, and then resign yourself to the inevitable dirt that will eventually adhere, you can at least comfort yourself by knowing that everyone else has had the same experience.

Yes, we’re still in the peanut butter phase, plus my older son loves to draw with Sharpies now and that terrifies me….

• JoulesDellinger says:

This outfit looks amazing on you! But if you were uncomfortable and fearful the whole few minutes you wore it, then it’s obviously not a good fit. The whole point is to find a style that WORKS with your life… And I very rarely wear white — partially because I feel that darker colors look better on me and partially because I’m messy and will fixate on the dirt until I can change. No Fun.

• Heather says:

Forgot to ask you to please share the brand of your shoes and bag!

• Heather says:

I do what a PP said, buy cute white shorts thrift or consignment and oxyclean as needed! Also, this outfit is one of your best all year. Love it! The clothes are cute, shoes and bag complement each other, but the best is that the shoes are in same color family as your hair. You are bookended, so to speak, and look very put together.

Yes, and I do love love oxyclean. My laundry comes to a halt when I’m out. Thanks so much for the compliment. I like the outfit too!

• Lauren says:

White pants are only for date night or church, when there are no children or animals in sight. I wore a pair of white pants for our family photo shoot a month ago, and they got dirty. It might have had something to do with chasing small children, sitting in the grass, and eating ice cream…all things that are real-life happenings, and reasons why white pants aren’t a mother’s daily reality. :) On a good note, I did look darn good in the photos. (The camera — and, I’m guessing, most casual observers — couldn’t tell they were dirty. Hmm….)

That’s really impressive that you wore white pants to a family photo shoot. The grass alone would have scared me!

• Lyn says:

Yes. Stopped wearing white 4 yrs ago :( maybe again, someday….

I really can’t remember when I even wore a white shirt without having to throw it out in a couple weeks…

• Mary Beth says:

I don’t have kids, but I guarantee, the same thing always happens to me – except that it’s always with a white or ivory that is firmly dry-clean only. It never happens with the stuff I can easily toss in the washing machine…

That’s so true. My dry clean clothes get instantly dirty and then they sit in the “bag waiting to go to the dry cleaners” for weeks…

• GotNoGam(in)e says:

My boys are 13 and 10; I work in an office. I wear white quite a bit. However, I walk the dog, I go to cub scout outings, and I crawl around looking for lost Lego pieces on a regular basis. I still wear white. Like Amiable, I’ve redefined “clean” and I’m less paranoid about stuff. The paranoia makes the dirt jump on you. If you think “I’m going to get dirty!” it’s like a magnet. The dirt will come. Conversely, if you think “I’m carefree and fearless” the dirt thinks “that’s no fun” and stays on the ground.

I love that advice. I’m going to try it. White does look so great and I don’t think other people notice stains as much as the person wearing the stained thing.

• Christie says:

I just thrifted my second pair of white jeans. I wouldn’t pay retail just because I know they will be destroyed sooner than later. The first pair were wrecked when a kid threw a chocolate ice cream cone at me. Really, who throws ice cream?

You know, my boys throw everything. It drives me crazy. As soon as I ask them to get something for me I quickly say, And HAND it to me!

• Amiable says:

I have white jeans and wear them quite often (well, when it’s cool enough for pants, which is not in summer). They get dirty every time, and I stain treat them and wash them, and wear them again next time. I duplicated them for fall/winter in fact, so that I can wear white jeans more often. In general, the dirty spots are small, barely noticeable (except to me), and I feel so crisp and clean in the white that it’s fun to wear them anyway.

(And I have five kids, small livestock and a muddy yard).

It can be done – just lower your expectations of staying “clean”. I find it works best when the weather is bad so I won’t be traipsing around outside anyway :)

You have five kids, small livestock and a muddy yard and you wear white? I love that. You are my new hero.

• Bo says:

Gamine is so you! So beautiful!!

• heather says:

OMG. I bought white pants this summer. I think I’ve worn them twice. I’m terrified!!