A Gamine goes to seed…

Gamine – Day 29

Wow, thanks for all your compliments and responses on “when to wear white”.  It seems like some people avoid wearing white entirely because it’s too frustrating a color while others wear white by just lowering their standards of cleanliness.  I like the second approach and think I’ll go for it.  If my outfit gets too dirty I could just hold up a sign that says, “Hey, it’s white. You try it.”

I remember once reading a book called “Animal Style” and it was all about how to have a chic-looking house if you have a lot of animals.  Not exactly Anna Karenina, but hey, the classics rarely have ideas on how to get dog hair off the curtains.  There was an interview with Eleanor Mondale (daughter of Walter) and I’ll never forget the picture because she had a horse in her living room.  She swore that all-white furniture was the way to go with animals because you can tell when it’s dirty and clean it right away.  It made so much sense to me that I immediately called Pottery Barn and bought an all white couch and two white club chairs… which were, of course, filthy constantly and I spent much of my day unzipping and zipping slip covers to put in the wash while cursing the name of the entire Mondale family.

Gamine_Ragle_Augie_Holly

As far as my non-white Gamine outfit today, I’ve got to say, it was pretty boring.  I added a ponytail after many requests that something cute should be done with my hair, but to me the ponytail isn’t that cute.  It’s a rushed ponytail (my specialty!) that looks more functional than saucy.

Gamine_Ragle_Ponytail

Also, the pants that I’m wearing slipped down all day over my non-hips revealing large mom underwear.  On one of the million times I pulled my pants back up to where they should be, I realized that not only a foot long section of my mom underwear was sticking out of the back, but also the underwear tag was flying in the breeze like a mini Gap flag.

All I can say is, two more Gamine days… just two more days…

• Becky says:

Oh, sorry to be a spammer but, on the underwear front… I have been really happy with the cotton lingerie from Victoria’s Secret (and it looks like they are having a pretty good on-line sale, now). The lace-waist briefs offer good coverage, etc, and they are cotton but the cotton lace makes it just a touch NOT mom undies.

• Becky says:

I have designated this the summer that I will make an effort (thanks in part to your encouragement). This mostly means I wear lipstick (revlon color stay ultimate suede does seem to go the distance) and do something involving a hair brush Every Day. I have gotten a lot of milage out of the reasonably fashionable but mom friendly messy bun and it’s close cousin, the messy twists- the messy twists just being 3 little messy buns close together. I also do something along these lines pretty often. If you make it more a winding, crossing path, you get something more akin to a messy french twist rather than a multi-twist bun. http://johoffberg.com/2012/02/day-19/ All of these styles take less than 2 minutes to complete once you get the hang of them. The goody spin pins are quite the mother’s helpers- keeping my hair in a (slightly messier) messy bun even after my youngest yanks on my hair. I have been amazed that something so simple can apparently make me seem down with the hep cats. It’s sort of the maxidress effect for hair i.e. you put little to no effort into anything but somehow people think you are Kept Up.

• alice says:

omg I LOVE the revlon color stay lipsticks!! I never ever have to worry about touching up and having some color on my lips makes all the difference. It’s amazing stuff.

Hey, I’m so glad you’re trying in the style department. Go for it! And I’m so going to do the three little bun thing — that sounds soooo cute!

• Amy says:

I admire your persistence, and can’t wait to see what September’s style is. Gamine is great if you’re Audrey Hepburn or petite with a completely flat stomach, or able to spend lots of time applying makeup to look like you haven’t applied much. And really, after a certain age (mine, not yours), my goal is not to look like a child. I’m as over Gamine as you are. Bring on September!

Thanks! Me, too. I don’t want to look like a child, and if I did want to look like a child I would want to look more like a cool teenager. Sometimes with Gamine I feel like Shirley Temple.

• Jocelyn says:

Yayyyy! A ponytail! I like Rebecca’s suggestion if you’re not wearing a hat. Might make you feel spunkier. And, I hate to nit pick since you finally did the ponytail, but I think it will also look better without the scrunchie. Just a basic hair tie :)

• Rebecca says:

To do a cute pony try just putting it higher on your head. Think cheer leader or possibly valley girl? It really makes a big difference. AND you can still rush it! ;)

Yes, I think it was higher but the scrunchie (and my pants) kept falling down. Fashion frustration day. I will look into some other cute hair ponytail thingys!

• Lesia says:

If you get rid of the mom jeans you have to get rid of the big mom underwear too!

I know, but the big mom underwear is so comfortable and can be used as a sail or tablecloth in an emergency.