Birthday wishes and a super scary pregnant leg…

Gamine – Day 25

Four years ago today, I looked like this —

Gamine_Holly_Pregnant_August

August looked like this —

Gamine_August_Newborn

And my leg looked like this —

Gamine_Holly_Pregnant_Leg

How totally disgusting is that?  I just found this picture the other day and I couldn’t believe my leg actually looked like that when I was pregnant!  No wonder I’ve been afraid to put on a dress this year!  I was so traumatized by scary pregnant leg that I just assumed people would start dry heaving if they saw even my ankles.

I was in constant pain for August’s pregnancy, dragging my hot, throbbing leg behind me as I chased after his five year old brother and three year old sister.  If I had been on a ship voyage in the 1800s, I’m sure they would have cut off my leg.  If I had been in Charles Dickens’ London, I would have been forced to live in a bell tower and ring the chimes far away from polite society.  Here we are the day after he was born —

Gamine_Holly_Newborn_August

And here’s a picture of my chic “post-pardum” look —

Gamine_Holly_August_Emerson_Buck

It’s such a nice top I don’t know why I don’t wear it anymore.  Nothing says “farm girl with big arms” like a madras tank top.  My leg is much better now and I’ve lost the sixty pounds I gained during that pregnancy.  I’m not really sure cramming shredded coconut in my mouth for nine months helped in the weight department.  Here we are at Auggie’s birthday today and I feel great —

Gamine_August_Birthday

What a difference four years has made for both of us!

Happy Birthday, my beautiful boy.  I am so lucky to be your mom and I promise that I will not hold what you did to my leg (or the rest of my body for that matter) against you…

…unless I really need to while you’re in high school.

• Drkimme says:

I love your “birthday” outfit – you look great! and pregnancy does do a number on us, eh? (yes, I’m Canadian…can you tell, eh?) Was it vericose veins? It looks like it hurt :( Love your blog :)

Thanks! They were varicose veins and they were horrible. I didn’t get them with our first son, but they kicked in when I was pregnant with our daughter and then our third child really took them over the edge! I had surgery to get them fixed and they feel fine now.

• Lesia says:

If they’d cut your leg off on a transatlantic ship voyage when it looked like that, I don’t think you would have made it to the New World. As the mother of three kids, I agree that the toll that pregnancy and childbirth and the exhaustion and stress of parenting take on a woman’s body is a great one, but I really don’t think that hearing about any of that will make your kids feel guilty when they’re teenagers.

• Lesia says:

But it’s a great punchline to your posting nonetheless. Looking forward to reading about more of your fashion, homeschooling and travel adventures during your year of fabulous.

That’s true. I don’t think kids ever really care about that sort of thing until they become parents and it all happens to them. I’ll keep the picture just in case though. It might make a nice blow up.

• bonnie brady says:

you are Everywoman!! there is not a mother in the world who cant identify with the love you feel for your children and the damage done to the body for that love- your blogs are great and you look fantastic even with the madras top

Thanks so much! It was hard to post that leg picture — it’s so extreme. I appreciate your comments so much, Bonnie.