How to get creepy men to notice you…

Day 6 – Gamine

I wore this Gamine-ish outfit to Costco yesterday –

Gamine_Headband_Door

— and there I was minding my own business just buying my usual forty gallons of soy sauce and a case of wine for 1.99 when I happened to glance up over a tube sock hill. I noticed a man staring at me.  And not just staring, but checking me out… actually leering…

No one ever leers at me.  Not in the past, not in the present and certainly not at Costco.  I am not the type of woman men leer at and I like it that way.  I disregarded the incident and moved on and no sooner was I standing in the check out line when I caught another man leering at me.  That’s when I realized what it was – my Gamine outfit.  Some men must really go for that sweet, innocent, girlish thing – I believe they’re called pedophiles.  It happened again with another man as I was leaving.  I started thinking I was crazy.  Maybe it wasn’t my gamine outfit.  Maybe there was a group support meeting at Costco.  I looked around for any sign that might say, “Welcome Pedophiles of the North Bay” but found nothing.

As I drove home and pondered my experience I realized that a certain type of guy must be drawn to a woman in a sweater set and headband, and not necessarily just a pedophile.  If Euro chic style says “I’m better” and Rock and Roll style says, “Don’t mess with me”, then Gamine just might say, “I’m sweet.  I have no opinions.  I just like to smile and have really good posture and agree with whatever you say.”

Yuck.  I didn’t think guys like that existed anymore, but I guess they do.  And apparently, they shop at Costco.  Today my kids and I are headed to the Jelly Bean Factory.

I wonder what perverts I’ll find there.

• jo says:

Unfortunately those kind of guys are not uncommon :( Goes for the innocent look, yup…

The colours are nice, but I think Eurochic works better on us grown women. One really need to be 15-20 yr old skinny french girl to be a “gamine”. But well let’s see what you think after a month!

• Rebecca says:

The pants are really great! I bet if you wore them with a button-front, collared shirt and boat shoes or loafers your outfit would still read gamine but it would have enough boy edge to it to get rid of the creepers.

Or not, depending on the particular preferences of said creeper ;)
    Eeiuw! Sorry …

I think you’re right. The footwear would really make this outfit totally different. I don’t have loafers but they would do the trick. I wonder if Toms shoes would work…

• Amanda Toop says:

Seriously funny. Although, if you are shocked to find guys are looking for agreeable, opinion less women these days – I want to live where you live.

It seems like guys in my area aren’t like that. At least my husband and my friends husbands aren’t like that.

• Amiable says:

Eww… Maybe I’m not so enamored with gamine. I don’t think I like creepy guys like that either. You look great though – I really like the gamine headband addition.

• vicki says:

well, first of all, i don’t think there’s a chic on the planet that needs to be told “how to” get creepy guys to notice them. it’s getting the guys that AREN’T creepy look our way we often need help with………..and secondly, it has always and forever drawn the eyes of all guys….creepy or not…..THE SWEATER. come on!! think any of the blond bombshells of Marilyn’s day, pin-up girls, etc etc etc. a girl in a sweater is just a huge ol’ magnet to the boys.

That’s true! The sweater set. I just never get anyone looking at me (which I’m fine with) so it was startling!

• Cheryl says:

If you forget to turn on your sense of humor you mistakenly think this post is about attracting pedophiles.
        I think it’s a school girl fetish coming out. Get yourself a kicky plaid skirt and pair it with that sweater set. You’ll have a few stalkers in no time.

• Sarah says:

I think they all read that wikihow article.

• Bo says:

You look so cute in that outfit! It looks like a good golf outfit (without the golf shoes of course) and maybe the men just see you and envision a golf course, but were forced by their wives to go to costco instead of playing golf.. Love that you match your door too, how many people can do that??

• Angela says:

This description had me rolling! You look great. Really approaching gamine. Now just for hair and makeup! :)
    AND, my husband loves my sweater sets, and he is neither a creep, nor a man looking for an empty headed arm candy. He just likes a woman who looks pulled together and confident. (And that is what you look like here.)

My husband likes that pulled together look too. He saw me in this outfit and said, “This is it! This is the one!” And he likes me and my opinions and is not creepy… Thanks for the compliment too!

• Jenn says:

Oh yes they do exist. When I was in my 20s I would attract them left and right. They were usually older and would assume I was pliant, sweet, and willing to go along with whatever. They would get angry when they talked to me (and I HAD to talk to them – I worked in retail) and found I was, you know, a human being with my own desires and opinions. Like I had played a trick on them with my full face, big eyes, and dimples. It was CREEPY. Going boho (and having 3 kids hanging off me) seems to have scared them off. Ha!

I’m so clicking on the “creepy guys” tag and finding out if you have more than 1 under there. :)

That’s so funny! I think Boho would scare off the guys that want a girl with no opinion — so would rock and roll and Euro chic!

• bonnie brady says:

well i love your outfit and you look great in it

• Allison says:

Are you sure it wasn’t just the “red shoes are sexy” rule?

• Cassandra says:

You Do look adorable! (Ps, I’m straight)