Sitting in a field of Gamine…

Gamine – Day 19

Gamine_vineyard_2

If you are thinking of spending the day sitting in a field of wild flowers, but just have no idea what to wear, then might I suggest Gamine?  Gamine style can work a picnic like no other style. These are clothes meant for spreading brie on a baguette… Clothes meant for a bicycle ride… Clothes meant for giggling on a pile of hay….  And I don’t mean that in a sexual way.  I mean, actually just sitting on some hay laughing, preferably wearing a boatneck shirt and a scarf tied around your neck.

I’m not suggesting that I do any of these things on a regular, semi-regular or even semi-annual basis.  But there is something about Gamine style that makes you want to stop and smell the roses.  You put on these cute little outfits and suddenly you think, “Oh, what’s the rush?”

Like the other day, for some reason I started singing the song, “Que sera sera“.

“When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, what will I be?  Will I be pretty?  Will I be rich?  Here’s what she said to me...”

My children stared at me transfixed as I spat out the words, and then asked me to sing it again! (Which never happens because I can’t even sing, Happy Birthday, without turning it into a dirge.)

I did and we all floated around the house like Doris Day.  I don’t really know this song very well and I haven’t heard it in years.  I can only tell you, it was the clothes.

Gamine made me do it.

• Heidi J says:

That’s very pretty photo of you! I like the wildflowers.

• Lesia says:

I love the striking shades of the plaid shirt and relaxed style of this outfit. You look more comfortable in this photograph than in many of the others this month – maybe it’s the pose in the field of wildflowers, but I think it’s the smile on your face that shows your natural beauty in whatever you’re wearing, and what you have on today is lovely and suits you.

• Lesia says:

Doris Day wasn’t an actress that came to mind when I read that you’d decided to try on gamine style for the month, but I can see it now that you mention her. The stereotypical character she played was a little too sweet for my taste. I like my gamines a little saucy.

That’s true. She was super sweet, but she’s slightly gamine. I prefer a little bit more edge in a gamine too.

• Kristie says:

1. As a child I sang that song all the time, thanks to a mom who loved Doris Day and still it will get stuck in my head.
    2. Love the plaid top, where did you get it? :)

• Melissa says:

No one should ever judge singing ability by the Happy Birthday song. Just sayin’ . . .

It’s true. I can’t ever sing that song without losing the tune — because there isn’t really a tune, right? The song just sucks…