Is it or is it not, Arty Slick?

Arty Slick – Day 23

Okay, I’m very excited about my last week of Arty Slick.  Usually, I spend the last week of any particular style just treading fashion water, waiting for the opportunity to stop wearing clothes that have started to seriously annoy me.  But, I threw caution to the wind today and went shopping with my friend, Megan, (an excellent armchair stylist) for more Arty Slick clothes!  Megan first made me go to Forever 21 and then forced me to buy clothes that the Desperate Housewives of New Jersey would find a tad over-the-top.  I will be wearing one of those brand new freaky outfits tomorrow and I can’t wait.

But that still leaves what I wore today.  I tried to add a little color into my normally very black Arty Slick palette —

Arty_Slick_Blue_Plaid

I’m not sure I pulled it off.  What do you think?  Is it art show chic?  Is it Bohemian with plaid nerd pants?  Or does it just look like I got dressed in the dark?

I await your valuable fashion opinion…

• I think technically to be Arty Slick the colors and prints would have to be bolder: so a cobalt blue rather than a dusty blue and some sort of graphic print rather than plaid.

So: cute outfit? Yes. Arty Slick? Probably not :)

And speaking of Arty Slick icons, I think this might be up your new style alley: http://www.pinterest.com/amblus/lanphear-is-my-spirit-animal/

• Clare says:

Dear Holly,

If you are looking for Arty Slick inspiration try googling Bridget Sojourner, who achieves an incredibly colourful, sculptural arty slick look with purchases from charity shops. I saw her last week in the British Channel 4 documentary Fabulous Fashionistas, about six extraordinary women over 70 who look amazing. I am a British mum in her 40s trying to rediscover her personal style (LOVE your blog – thankyouthankyouthankyou) and I found these women an incredible inspiration even though they are twice my age. The programme is still available on demand, I think. I have no connection with the documentary, I just really enjoyed it.

Clare

Thank you so much! I will check her out! Is she the woman in Scotland?

• Clare says:

I think she lives in London. She has spent most of her working life in the developing world as an educator but is now back in the UK campaigning against ageism.
      The others are: the 83 year old choreographer of cats who is still working; an artist born in the USA now living in london who hates beige; Baroness Trumpington (beloved by al Brits for giving a two fingered salute to a Peer in the House of Lords on camera); Britain’s oldest model who can still do the splits and a woman who began working in fashion when her husband dies in her 60s. They each have a very particular style.

They all sound amazing! You know, in America woman fight aging so much it’s really depressing. They end up with all this plastic surgery when they’re old and just end up looking terrible. But when a woman embraces aging and keeps learning and doing amazing things, she inspires ALL women — no matter what she looks like!

• Jocelyn says:

Arty slick or not, I like it. I probably would have done a white cami under the shirt to keep the outfit light, though.

• AvantScarred says:

If YOU liked the outfit, then it worked. But if you’re asking was it arty slick? Hmmm. I never associated plaid with arty slick. The drapey top — okay; the chunky jewelry — yes; even the boldness of a mismatched color on the bracelet. But IMHO, if the pants would have been closer to arty slick in an unexpected print, like words/letters or metallic stripes. Or maybe it’s the cut of the pants — pretty standard. Maybe plaid in a skinny jean or an asymmetrical pencil skirt*

* I have never actually seen any of the clothes I’ve mentioned here. I’m just making things up that I think would look arty slick. :)

Thanks! I think you’re right — plaid doesn’t seem arty slick to me, but these pants are so comfortable that I decided to just go with it.

• Lesia says:

I think that I would have gone with two out of three accessories in the same colour family, or have them match the main pieces in your outfit, i.e. a teal or grey bracelet OR a gold or bronze bracelet OR a mustard yellow or burnt orange camisole OR red or grey shoes.

• Lesia says:

As for whether it’s Arty Slick or not, here you’ve combined something that you like particularly (plaid pants) with something that’s become pretty mainstream (draping, knotted fabric, asymmetrical hem) and I personally like seeing that kind of experimentation more than seeing someone stick to a tried and true style that someone else has defined.

That’s so true, Lesia. I do love comfortable plaid pants and these fit the bill! Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, I think the shoes were totally weird with this outfit, but I was kind of limited on choices.