The Avant-Garde word for the day — unapproachable!

Avante-Garde – Day 5

Avant_Garde_Driveway_Smile

You can smile all you want, but dressed in Avant-Garde the world will just see you as an ice queen.  Here are some of the things I heard about this outfit —

“I feel intimidated talking to you when you’re dressed like that.”

“I was wondering who that person was dressed up like (disdainfully) that, then I realized it was you!”

Maybe part of the issue is that I’m wearing black in the country.  Country people still only wear black for funerals.  If I lived in a city I would totally blend in with the other Avant-Garders and not like someone who got lost in the Guggenheim and now finds herself bored and standing next to a tube slide in Northern California.

Although the good news is, as far as the service industry goes, I’m back in Euro chic territory.  Whether I’m standing in line at the toy store or getting my fourth latte for the day, salespeople scramble to help me.  When I was dressed in Euro chic, I got great service because people assumed I was rich.  But with Avant-Garde, it doesn’t feel like that.  It feels like I’m getting great service because, judging by the way I’m dressed, I’m the type of person that if I don’t get great service, I will cause a foot-stomping, call the manager, hissy fit.  So Avant-Garde definitely has it’s perks.

Which means I am so wearing this outfit the next time I go to the DMV.

• I love everything about this look! I don’t think it looks intimidating at all. Then again, I like the clothes so you would totally seem like a woman after my own heart :)

• Amanda Toop says:

I like this outfit a lot. I don’t think its avant garde but it still looks really great.

• alice says:

I super love this outfit – everything about it (clothes shoes jewelry) is perfect.

Wow! Thanks! I really liked it too. I was worried that I looked too professional and not enough Avant-garde, but I still like it.

• Victoria says:

Yes! So cool…but in a bitchy kind of way? Right?

• JoulesDellinger says:

First off, I love this outfit and it totally looks like something I would wear to work. I can see how it might be a bit ‘intimidating’ looking if just wearing it around to do errands though.

Second off, you should totally do a pin up month. I’m rather obsessed with modcloth (bought a saucy, yet one piece swimsuit there that has MADE. MY. Summer.) and I’d love to see someone pull off the pin up look without looking like they’re in a costume the whole time. =)

You know, I would love to do a pin up month. I love mod cloth — you know, you have the perfect pin up figure! You should totally wear more of those vintage looking mod cloth dresses!

• Rebecca says:

Not sure what to make of your friends…eek. :-|

• Yvonne Beale says:

I only just found your blog and you are well into your year. Wish I’d been with you from the start! What fun. I’ll be reading from now on and I’m just working on my own new look trial, I wanna be a ‘Hep-kitten’ but I’m short and not really Katharine Hepburn’s shape at all (she had a miniscule 20″ waist!). I’m at the resaerch phase, finding out where to get petite trousers like her ones and just wondering if a rather busty short woman can do androgynous without just looking as though I’m wearing my husband’s cast offs. I had to donate some of my clothes from previous life, belly dancer as hobby and a pair of the harem pants crept into my day wardrobe. Not a good look really. I rather like a bit of vintage ‘pin-up’ style but it just looks a bit too costumish on me. I look forward to seeing your future outfits.

Good for you! You sound like you’re really going for it! There’s a good book called, Who do you want to be today? by trinny and Susannah and it covers a chapter on the androgynous look. It might be worth checking out. Keep me posted!

• Amiable says:

I really like this on you too. You look amazing, and it all works well together. I may have to copy some of your avant-garde outfits.

• Lara says:

Wow! You look awesome today! I love the tank top, but the jewelry, especially the belt and necklace (oh who am I kidding, ALL of it!) are awesome. You are totally inspiring me to get my act together for fall. Go girl!

• Vildy says:

“If you were wearing that outfit when we met, I don’t think we would have become friends.” I’m betting that sounds a whole lot different coming from a friend.

I think you look great. Somehow, in these outfits, the proportions all come together pleasingly for you.

• Angela says:

I totally agree with your proportions observation. It can really make or break an outfit.
      I think you look great too, Holly. I wouldn’t find you unapproachable. :)

Yes, she was saying it in a sarcastic way, but a good observation, nonetheless. Clothes say so much about someone that I think she would have thought we might not have a lot in common.