Lessons I’ve learned from Arty Slick…

Arty Slick – Day 30

Today is the last day of Arty Slick and my final photo for this look only seems fitting –

Arty_Slick_Bowling_Alley

I’m bowling… in an Arty Slick outfit… with bowling shoes….

Do Arty Slicks bowl?  Probably not.  Do Arty Slicks take knitting classes with their kids?  It’s unlikely.  Do Arty Slicks carry goats out of their houses that have broken in through the front door?  I’m going to go out on a limb here and say no.  Do Arty Slicks do any of the things that I do on a daily basis?

Avant_Garde_Driveway_Smile

I had a lot of fun with this look.  It’s an empowering look – bold, in your face and edgy – words most moms would not use to describe themselves.  I didn’t feel like a mom in these clothes and that was a very refreshing feeling.  Don’t get me wrong, I love being a mom, I just don’t like looking like a mom.

Avant_Garde_Numero_Uno

For the first time in a long time, I was dressing for me and not just dressing for practicality.  These clothes reminded me that I have thoughts other than how to pack a healthy lunch and what time Kung Fu is.   This look reminded me that I am a person alone in this world, on my own adventure and that even though my complete focus is on taking care of three other people, I’m still the star of my own movie.

So for that, Arty Slick, I thank you.

• jo says:

It’s great that you took away such a postive thing from that month’s style :)
    So after one year you can put together your style based on what you liked about these different looks – isn’t exciting! Lol I’m excited for you!

• AvantScarred says:

Fashion *should* be empowering, even if it’s a style that you don’t choose to wear every day. For realizing that there is still Holly under all that Mom, you get a gold star.

Can’t wait to see October’s style!

• Von says:

I like this post a lot and I’ve also enjoyed seeing the Arty Slick experiment.

• Angela says:

I’ve enjoyed seeing you try out Arty Slick. And this month you have definitely inspired me with jewelry in particular – I’ve been lamenting the fact that I feel so plain with my little grabby baby as my only accessory (no dangly earrings, no more necklaces to break, no cheapo stretchy bracelets). And then I realized I have a couple solid chunky metal bracelets – he’ll break my arm before he breaks them!

(Plus, if I hand them to him during a diaper change it gives me just enough time to get a clean one on him before he tries to take off again – total win!)

You know, indestructible jewelry will making diaper changing a whole new experience. It’s like wearing their favorite toy. I’m still afraid of dangling earrings and my youngest is four!

• Rochelle says:

“I’m still the star of my own movie”. That’s my new motto (as I prepare to have baby #4).

• Jenn says:

Maybe you can just carry elements of Arty Slick into your wardrobe? Like the jewelry? You look great in the style but I know all about liking clothing that is not practical for every day living.

I think I am going to carry elements of Arty Slick into other looks — like the jewelry and shoes, etc. I feel like I’ve picked up stuff I’ve liked from all my looks.

• Amiable says:

And these reasons you’ve named are exactly why Arty Slick is so great for you – because you ARE more than just a Mom! :) I loved seeing you in Arty Slick – and I’m guessing that you’ll continue a large dose of it next year, considering that you bought more clothes in it. You make me want to visit Forever21.

Thanks! You know, I’m not sure about Forever 21 — the clothes do feel cheap. And I don’t like the store’s name — Forever 21 — who wants to be 21 forever? I’m much happier now!

• bonnie brady says: