How to tell if you’re wearing ugly pants…

Arty Slick – Day 25

Arty_Slick_Striped_Pants

Okay, I’m not sure about this outfit.  I was full of confidence as I left the house in it and then as the day wore on and I kept getting glimpses of my pants, doubt started creeping in.  My husband said he loved the outfit, then halfway through the day and growing more insecure by the minute, I thought I’d check in with my own personal Project Runway judges (my children) to see what they thought.

Here’s how the conversation went down  —

Me:  “Hey guys, do you like my pants?”

Buck/Emerson/August:  “No.”

Me:  “Really, why?  When you look at them, what comes to mind?”

Buck:  “A clown in the circus.”

Emerson: “A weird person on the street.”

August:  “Awkward.”

I have to say, my four year old got it right.  Sure, I might look like a clown in the circus or a weird person on the street, but that doesn’t really matter because I’m not dressing for other people, I’m dressing for me.  But what does matter is how I feel in what I’m wearing.

And I was feeling awkward.  Way to go, Auggie.

I’m just wondering if I should give the pants another try…  I’m all for second chances, but exactly how many tries should one give a piece of clothing?

More importantly, are these pants worth it?

• katie says:

If the black and white were the same width,I’d call them beutlegeuse or robin thicke pants advise not wearing them for a while. They are a solid ok. If you aren’t comfortable, don’t force it.

• katie says:

Ps-it’s called my year of fabulous. If they aren’t fabulous, they aren’t part of your year. It isn’t “my year of being uncomfortable to be mildly less offensive than usual”. Um, I mean that in the nicest way possible without being family.

Yes, you’re right. Sometimes I forget the fabulous part and it becomes more “my year of forcing myself to wear clothes I hate.”

Thanks so much!

• Lauren says:

I’m not a fan of the pants, but it’s not because of the pattern. I agree with other readers that some color and/or a scarf would have been great! But these don’t look like they fit well, and I’ll say that the first thing that came to my mind was that cooks in restaurants were baggy, black-striped pants like this. They could be great, but don’t seem just right on you.

• My personal rule of thumb: if you have to talk yourself into wearing it, don’t.

(I won’t claim I *always* follow my own advice, but it’s still a good rule ;)

That’s great advice. I was just wondering if I needed to try in it a different setting — I was at a park when I wore them. Maybe date night with my husband? You know, maybe they are night pants…

• Lyn says:

What about with a jewel toned top?! Maroon/oxblood whatever they are calling it these days…clowns don’t wear burgundy. I think they are fab.

• Jenn says:

Maybe with a little longer top? I think they look fine but you definitely need to feel confident in them. Don’t want to be the weird person on the street, amirite? :)

• Cynthia says:

I’m not one to talk, because I wear crazy striped circus pants at least once a week. But I think they’re great. They are swishy and bold. Own them!

• Laur says:

I like the outfit, however I also like the first post of adding color like RED. That could be fun. My only other suggestion is, closed toe shoes. I see boots or ballet flats. I don’t know why, and I am not fashionista, however I am thinking it will continue the lines to the ground.

BTW I never post, my first, however I love reading each day and am so impressed with your ability to step out of your comfort zone. (Though do stay away from the mountain lions…we have cougars here that terrify me.) Though I have yet to step out of mine, you are giving me a little push to think about it.

Peace,
    Laur

You know, I almost wore close toed shoes with it and for some reason I didn’t. I think you’re right. And red would help. I’m going to try them again. And thanks for commenting! You have cougars? Where are you?

• Ann says:

As I happen to have seen you in those pants, I’d have to say I got the impression you didn’t feel so great in them. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, how about a solid color top that is not black or white…maybe red, yellow, tan, or blue? If a change doesn’t improve the pants for ya, I say toss ‘em to Good Will!

• Jordan says:

I think you rock them. Looks great with the scarf and the whole shebang. This is one of my more fav Arty Slick choices. That being said, you have to feel comfortable and if that’s not happening then maybe they aren’t for you.

• Kathleen says:

I kind of love the pants, but agree that the fit could be better in the hips. Maybe you’d like more subtle, thinner stripes? If you feel uncomfortable, though, bag ‘em.

• Von says:

If you had liked them then you’d find a variation available with huge bell-bottoms that tribal fusion belly dancers wear, particularly in the US. Striped trousers, really skinny, are quite popular here with the cyber goths. http://store.vampirefreaks.com/product.php?pid=5943 I wouldn’t really have clocked them if I’d passed you in the street but maybe I have stripe blindness as I used to wear Pamela Mann striped tights at uni quite a bit.

Wow! Your whole comment just blew my mind. Cyber goths? Pamela Mann? Tribal fusion? I have so much to learn. Thanks for the link.

• Daniela says:

…hmm…

If you FEEL akward, why should you wear them? :-) I try just to wear stuff that makes me feel good!

I think, they don’t really fit porperly (their fault – not yours!) in the hip region…

Greetings from Germany

Daniela

Yes, they do have a weird hip thing going on. I noticed that. I was just thinking that maybe I’d give them a second chance in a different setting — like not pushing my child on a swing at the park. Maybe that’s why I was feeling awkward.