Why, Forever 21? Why?

Arty Slick – Day 29

Arty_Slick_Pattern_Dress

Reasons why this outfit could work for any mom –

Comfortable — Pleather is a mom’s best friend.  I could drop a bowl of spaghetti on my pants, scoop it back onto my plate and keep eating without the slightest worry my pants would stain.  All substances just slide off the black “material” as if you’re wearing a repurposed treadmill belt.

Cheap — Possibly the least expensive outfit I’ve worn all year.  I got the top and pants at Forever 21 for a combined fifteen dollars (ten dollars for the shirt, four ninety-nine for the pants).  Plus, I’m borrowing the shoes which means they’re free unless I somehow ruin them.

Forgiving — The shirt is so long in the back that it can hide all manner of things you don’t want shown to the world.  But it’s short in the front so it has the illusion that you’re proud of your junk and want to show it off  — it’s the ultimate bait and switch shirt.

Arty_Slick_Pattern_Detail

Reasons this outfit wouldn’t work for most moms –

It’s insane — I wore this outfit doing errands today and I felt positively ridiculous.  It was raining today and I was walking around people in slickers and rain boots.

So, once again, I’m not sure if the outfit is Arty Slick and once again, I’m not sure if I should give it another go — like save it for a date night outfit.

Or did I just have “Forever 21 Fever” and maybe I shouldn’t have bought it in the first place….  Thoughts?

• Okay, I vote for a month of leggings based on this outfit! You look awesome. Who cares that it was raining? Throw on some leather ankle boots or knee high boots and you’re good to go. Sandals in the rain aren’t amazingly practical but they look good.
    I can see rocking leggings all through fall. They look great with riding boots, shoe-ties, or what do you think of those insane wedge sneakers? Leggings are stylish and practical-layered with a long tee shirt and a cardigan, with a chunky cable knit sweater, under a tunic and down vest, even a long sleeved dress and an infinity scarf. Oh, and there is always the delightful jegging…no pesky buttons or zippers to remind you you’re gaining weight.
    P.s. those are all different outfits, not one crazy layering-fest, lol

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions! I was just thinking about getting some more leggings. Boots and leggings are so cute!

• Amiable says:

I like it too – especially the leather pants. I’ve never ‘gotten’ the hi-lo hemline, but it looks really good here!

• Mia says:

I love everything about this on you. I have been wondering about the comfort level of the pleather in humid conditions, pork in plastic?

You know, these pleather pants are really sheer. I don’t think they would be too hot unless we’re talking about Africa hot. Although I think if I got within four feet of a candle, they’d melt on my skin.

• AvantScarred says:

IMHO, you nailed arty slick. I totally LOVE this outfit. I agree with the other poster — try some yellow ankle boots!

• Lara says:

I think you nailed arty slick with this outfit. The rain is probably the only reason you FELT ridiculous. Because it looks great! Very cute outfit and I love the idea of pairing it with a long sleeve t for cool weather.
    Forever 21 can totally be hit or miss, and I have definitely had misses there, but you really look cute!

One more day!

• Clare says:

I’d be delighted if I looked like you in that outfit….

I think the shape is great. It’s really fun, i like the pattern and it makes your arms and legs look very good.. You should definitely try it again. In the rain I’d try it with ankle boots and a long sleeved tee underneath (although it looks a lot warmer with you than it is with us now in the UK, so that might not work for you).

Have you considered that shape in a warmer colour or different fabric? I’ve really enjoyed your debating the success of various styles and shapes. I’d be interested in hearing about the colours that you think work for you or whether you think it matters.

This shape also enables bending, stretching and climbing without inadvertently exposing any midriff. Its an unusual shape but much more practical than it looks.

• Von says:

I think this outfit is interesting and not in a bad way. Maybe it just needs you to totally go for it and bring out the yellow with a bit of bold jewellery/shoes?

• Rochelle says:

I vote give it a try for date night. It’s definitely interesting, maybe it just needs the right occasion.