Let’s talk organic skin care…

Eco Mama – Day 8

For years I’ve been using organic skin care and it’s cost me a fortune — like I’m pretty sure one of our kids won’t be able to go to college because of my organic rosewater toner.  My favorite product line is Suki Skin care and it’s great, really, just take a deep breath before you see your total at checkout.

But since part of my Eco Mama quest this month is to find all organic and affordable products for the average awesome mom, I wanted to see if there was anything cheap and decent on the market that wasn’t full of horrors.  And guess what?  There actually is!!!

Eco_Mama_Neutrogena

One trip to Rite Aid and I discovered Neutrogena Naturals.  It’s an all natural (or at least mostly chemical free) line of skin care.

Here’s their horror-free label —

Eco_Mama_Neutrogena_Close_Up

And here’s a brief description of the horrors —

Parabens — Avoid these bad boys at all costs!  Get parabens out of your make up, shampoos, body lotions and cleansers.  Parabens mimic the hormone estrogen which can lead to the development of breast cancer.  Researchers have actually found parabens in breast tumors.  Don’t wait on ridding your medicine cabinet of this one.  Parabens are seriously dangerous.

Phthalates – Run, don’t walk, from phthalates.  Phthalates are endocrine disrupters and mimic the hormone estrogen which can lead to cancer.  Get phthalates out of all body products for you and your children, like right this second.  Phthalates are one of the reasons young girls are getting breasts so early these days.

Petrochemicals and sulfates — both made from petroleum.  Terrible for the Earth, can be toxic, should definitely be avoided.

Neutrogena Naturals is totally inexpensive (scrubs and cleansers about nine bucks each) and I’ve been using everything for a week now and love them…  Now I’m not vouching for Neutrogena as a corporation — for all I know they could eat baby pandas in the executive cafeteria.  I’m just glad there is a company out there that is offering a chemical free choice for people of all-income levels.

Which leads me to my next question — Does anyone use any great natural skin care products they can recommend?  I’d love to keep my research going all month.

Consider me your organic guinea pig.

• saro says:

I do the oil cleansing method (jojoba, avocado & less than 1/3 castor oil) 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I fall off the wagon but it does make a difference on my skin.

• katie says:

Get one of those old timey shaving lather brushes and a bar of shave soap. Can get at walgreens by the men’s shave stuff. I even just use the lather brush with a bar of locally made goat milk soap. No metal can, no propellants, and bars of soap seem to last way longer than a bottle of body wash. I use a plastic poof with my bar of soap.

That’s a great idea. Do you use the soap on your body or face?

• katie says:

With the shave brush, I just use it for shaving. It will get a little lather. The local goat milk soap and shower puff I use all over my body. I can use the goat soap on my face, but am in love with paulas choice products. Not organic, but work well for me. Sorry for the confusing comments written on iphone.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up! I’m going to get a shave brush. I usually buy local soap which I love, but I haven’t heard of Paula’s choice. I will look it up.

• Marsha Calhoun says:

I wash my face with water and a clean washcloth, and use a bit of oil (jojoba or whatever is around) to remove any makeup that lingers. So the cleaning part is covered – but what to do about sunscreen? We are damned if we do and damned if we don’t – a choice between skin cancer and acne, or worse (plus, sunscreen interrupts vitamin D absorption, I hear). Think of the sunscreen we slather on ourselves and our kids – I would so appreciate affordable suggestions that don’t have risky ingredients and that don’t dry out the skin!

I’m going to do a whole post on sunscreen because I totally agree — I think the whole sunscreen thing is crazy and the only reason it’s so heavily promoted in America is because it’s a billion dollar industry! We just slathering chemicals on our babies every day. Yikes!

• Amanda says:

all you need is LUSH!!! http://www.lushusa.com
    All natural products, no animal testing, and their stuff works better than anything I’ve ever used.

I’ve used some of their products and they are good. Although, once I was in a lush store in San Francisco and I asked them if they used parabens in their products (as a preservative) and they said yes — not all of the products, but some.

• Cali Rose says:

Acure Organics

• Renae says:

Okay, here goes the crazy granola comment but what the hey, you’re on organic this month so….
    Here are a few of my favorite, and cheap, skincare secrets.
    1. Baking soda as a scrub. I have had cystic acne since the birth of our first child 14 years ago and aside from some heavy drugs this is the first thing to clear it up. Put about 2 Tbsp in a small bowl and in the shower add a little water until mixture resembles the consistancy of frosting. With upward strokes gently scrub face, neck, back, wherever.
    2.Organic cold pressed coconut oil as a cleanser. That’s right cleanser! Take a bit in your fingers, warm it by rubbing gently between your palms and gently rub on your face like normal cleanser. Next take a HOT washrag and perform a mini facial by “steaming” the skin. gently remove oil and makeup
    3. Organic unfiltered apple cider as a toner. Just take one of those flat cotton ball thingies and slather it right on. This is for after the oil cleansing.
    There’s so much more but these three things make up the bulk of my skin care routine and all together they cost about ten bucks. Not bad!

Wow! You’re kidding! That stuff sounds great! And the coconut oil doesn’t make you break out?

• Renae says:

The coconut doesn’t make me break out, weird huh? The thing is you need to remove all the oil with a hot washrag and then finish with apple cider vinegar. But the thing that works better than anything is the baking soda. It has helped to clear my skin up like nothing else. I also like to make a mask out of 1 tsp raw honey, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and the juice from half a lemon. I put it on saturday morning and wash it off in the shower. It makes my skin look amazing plus if I put it on before my kids get up it really freaks them out when they come to say good morning;)

I tried the baking soda and it totally worked. I’m going to try the coconut today — my face totally broke out from this mineral make up! Thanks for the tip!

• Renae says:

I hope it works for you. I also use baking soda and vinegar as shampoo. I still use real shampoo once a week but every other day it’s either water or bs&v. Another really weird thing I do…. Wait for it….. I make my own deodorant. I feel like I should send you a picture of me so you can see that I’m not a dreadlocked pothead. Not that that would be a bad thing it’s just that my hubby works in government so I kind of have to look normal….. Anyway if you do a little research on the link between antiperspirant and breast cancer you might want to make your own deo too. If this is all too much tmi I’m sorry. Good luck with the baking soda.

I’m totally on the bandwagon of antiperspirant and breast cancer — I think I will write a post about it but I’m slightly worried that people are going to think I’m crazy! I’ve been experimenting with different natural deodorants and haven’t found a great one. Would you consider doing a guest post with all your natural beauty secrets? I’m sure people (including me!) would love to see it.

• Renae says:

In response to your response;) I would love to do a guest post. Thanks for asking.

Great! I’ll send you an email so we can set it up!

• Renae says:

I’ve been meaning to get back to you for a couple of days now but we were on a trip. One with a LOT of driving and by the time we got out of the car and we let our kids burn off some energy I was too tired to write you back so…..
              You let me know what kinds of things you’d like me to write about (I could go on and on and on) and I’ll get right on it. Have a wonderful day!
              P.s. I read your post about deodorant and I was mentally jumping up and down there were so many things I wanted to say. My husband and I both use homemade deo now and well never go back it really is healthier. At first I felt like I was a big sweaty hog all the time but after a while you stop perspiring so much and the odor protection really does work. Really!

I’ll email you! Thanks!

• Amy says:

Check out the products made by The Honest Company. Also, the EWG’s web site Skin Deep is a great resource to research what is actually in products.

• Do you know of a good website or article that explains more about the harmful ingredients?

• jill says:

I found this product a couple of years ago on Etsy while searching for safe skincare products to use during my pregnancy. http://sugaredbeauty.com/product/happy-face-cleansing-duo-full-size/
    It’s made with all natural/organic ingredients, is super gentle, and leaves my skin feeling AMAZING. Plus, the added bonus of supporting a small business owner. I highly recommend it.

• Marcie says:

Go back to Suki, it’s cruelty free!

• Steph says:

lovelovelove Tarte cosmetics. Feels great and stays in place even in 100+ heat/humidity–and it doesn’t look like you are wearing a mask. Can be found at Ulta (who occasionally runs specials on it) or Sephora.