Let’s all try to be healthy – Part Two

Eco Mama – Day 29

Eco_Mama_Dawn_Redwood_Autumn

As you can see I changed the title of my 3 part series to a much more politically correct version so as not to offend anyone.  My blog is all about helping women find their style and not about working people into a lather over GMOs.  However, as an Eco Mama this month, I just felt like talking about organic foods and pesticides was a must.  Eco Mamas are all about the Earth and living as naturally as possible and although I don’t know all the Eco Mamas in the world, I can say with great certainty that there probably aren’t too many of them who work at Monsanto.  That would be “Eco Mama with a Severe Personality Disorder” and I’m not doing that style this month.  Who knows?  Maybe next year…

Today’s topic in my 3 part series is all about “Natural Beauty Products”.  I think one of the best and most economical ways women can try and stay healthy is by getting all the yucky stuff out of the products we are constantly slathering on ourselves.  If you would like a detailed description of all the yucky stuff I’m talking about, please check out a recent post I did about parabens.

I’ve been guinea pigging a lot of these products this month and I can tell you honestly which ones work and which ones make your hair look like a squashed, dried out bird’s nest.

nest

“The Best Natural Beauty Products that I have mostly so far been able to try”

Cleaners and Creams – Who knew the best face cleanser I’d ever discover has been sitting in my kitchen pantry staring at me for years?  I’ve been using coconut oil with an apple cider vinegar toner for two weeks now and my skin has never looked or felt better.  If you haven’t seen Renae’s post aboutl her secret homemade beauty products, you must!  As far as inexpensive, paraben free cleansers that you can find at any drug store, I’ve tried both Neutrogena Naturals and Burt Bees and they both work just fine.  I especially like the Neutrogena Naturals night cream and the Burt Bees Blemish stick.

burts-bees

Shampoo and Conditioner — I went with Burt Bees on this one and liked it, although I felt like the conditioner made my hair a little dry.  I remedied that by putting some Renpure Argan Oil on my hair right after the shower.  It feels really good and makes your hair silky all day.

Deodorant — Once again, check out Renae’s post about making your own natural deodorant.  But if you want to just buy something, then I suggest Primal Pit Paste.  I’ve been trying it out for the last few days and it’s fantastic!  I no longer smell.  I repeat.  I no longer smell.  I even got Primal Pit Paste kid’s natural deodorant for my ten year old son and it’s a miracle.  He no longer smells like a rat died in his arm pit.

Body Lotion — Cheapest?  Definitely organic coconut oil.  Next in line?  Those giant jugs of Whole Foods 365 line of body lotions.  They aren’t organic, but they are paraben free and fair trade and one jug is less than ten dollars and lasts for months.  I’ve also tried a line of organic lotion called Fiji and it’s amazing.  I got it at Vitacost – a site that has some really great, well priced organic items.

everyday_shea

Make up — I opted not to buy a whole bunch of new make up this month because I very recently had just gone on a shopping make up binge at Urban Decay.  I know their products are vegan, but I have no idea if there’s yucky stuff in them.  And frankly, I don’t want to know.  I’ll get better stuff when my Urban Decay runs out so right now I’m just going to pretend it’s are all wonderful and made from happy plants and berries.  I did, however, find two “eco-beauty” websites in InStyle magazine that I just spent about AN HOUR DROOLING OVER!  They are beautycounter.com and saffronrouge.com — you have to check them out!  Lipsticks!  Foundations!  Mascaras!  Without a single yucky thing in any of them!

saffron_rouge

Sunscreen — I use Goddess Garden and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.  Pricey, but the bottle lasts forever, plus it’s in a squirt bottle so my kids can apply it to themselves without pouring the entire bottle on just one arm and then saying, “Mommy, I think I put too much on.”

So that’s pretty much it for me in the product testing department.  I think you’ll find that once you green your beauty routine you’ll feel a lot better — not physically maybe, but definitely mentally.  Why?  Because you’re bringing more attention and awareness to your body.  You’re finding bursts of “me time” during the day to be good to yourself.

You’re saying to your body, “Hey, I’m going to really take care of you from now on.  I promise.  And in return, maybe you do something about this cellulite.”

• lauragbeck says:

Thank you for saying a bit about Beautycounter! It is such a fantastic product line. I stand 100% behind this company and their philosophy. You can’t go wrong. We just launched, for a limited time, our Shine products for young girls who love to play ‘dress up’!

• Robin says:

Me again, with another plug for the Environmental Working Group (EWG) consumer guides! Here is a link to their “Skin Deep” guide to cosmetics: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

• Renae says:

I’m so happy to see people using all this coconut oil! Holly I’m interested in the hair oil after a shower thing too. I have a friend from India who says that all Indian women use Neem oil (for non-colored hair)or sesame oil, or coconut oil as an overnight treatment. But that’s just once a week.
    The coconut oil as lotion, I just use a little at a time, warm it between my hands and rub it in. If I use too much I just wait a few minutes to put my clothes on. My skin will just suck it right up. Which is yet another reason to use coconut oil as body lotion. It’s freaky how it absorbs right into the body! And for the record I suppose we do smell like coconut. We use organic, cold pressed coconut oil and I don’t notice the smell. But then we use a lot of other essential oils as well.

Yes, I like the Renpure oil — it’s the only hair oil I could find that didn’t have paragons. And it makes your hair silky, not greasy. I was wondering if I would smell like a coconut too, but so far I don’t think so. What other essential oils do you use? And for what?

• Marsha Calhoun says:

As a long-time face-washer who uses oil and warm water (or just water), I decided to go with the coconut oil suggestion, and after using it on my face I went ahead and used it instead of lotion after a shower. My skin feels great, but I am redolent of the tropics and am wondering if anyone else experiences this. I’m hoping I don’t smell like a shipment of copra, but rather like a wonderful flower or something . . . we’ll see if husband even notices.

I was wondering if I smell all coconut-y too but I don’t think so. After the apple cider vinegar toner I smell for a bit though!

• Emily McKeever says:

I love all of the tips! Question.. is the coconut super oily when you use it for lotion? Also, what product of the Argan Oil do you use after you wash your hair? Do you use the oil treatment? Thanks!!! I’m pumped to start using some safer products! Thanks for the tips!

You’re welcome! Sometimes the coconut oil is kind of oily when I use it as a lotion. If you’re in a rush after the shower, I wouldn’t put it on. But if you have time to rub it in, it works great. The argan oil that I got says, “Deep penetrating oil treatment”. I’ve used it every day and it doesn’t make my hair greasy.

• Dionne says:

OK, you’ve convinced me, I’m ready to give the coconut oil/apple cider vinegar toner a whirl. (Plus, I love coconut oil dissolved in a bath. Mmmm, silky. Just make sure you clean the tub afterwards, as it gets slippery.)

Now as far as the cellulite things goes, I figured as an Eco Mama you might also dip your toes in the Feminist Mama waters as well: http://gokaleo.com/2013/03/06/cellulite-its-time-we-all-just-get-the-hell-over-it/

Yeah, I’m definitely a feminist and knew I shouldn’t have made that cellulite joke even as I wrote it. But I was so tired I couldn’t think of anything else. A very tired feminist last night…

• saro says:

I ordered two vats of organic coconut oil, to use for my baby (I’m pregnant) and to try the cleansing method. I used to do the castor oil/jojoba oil cleansing routine before but this sounds much easier. If it doesn’t work for me, I may need to do a giveaway through you ;)

Awesome! I discovered coconut oil when I was pregnant with our 3rd child and it felt sooooo good to slather it all over my coconut shaped belly. I’ve never done the castor oil/jojoba oil cleansing thing. What is it?