Eco Mama – Day 2
Here’s my first attempt at a totally organic outfit. I believe what it lacks in creativity, it makes up for in it’s in-your-face-saving-the-worldness —
I’ll break it down item by nature-loving item —
1. Peruvian fair trade sweater — I bought this locally and paid a lot (80.00). Because of it’s price, it will be the only warm cover up I buy this month. I apologize in advance for how sick of this sweater you will probably get. I totally love this sweater — it is so handmade it practically comes with an indigent woman attached to it.
2. Organic white t-shirt — American Apparel. These are some of the cheapest organic t-shirts I’ve been able to find. But buy a size up from what you normally wear. My size medium is really tight — I’m guessing size small would pretty much be doll clothes.
3. Organic jeans — Patagonia. I was terrified to order jeans online without being able to try them on at a store, but I couldn’t find any organic jeans close to wear I live. Even when the package arrived I only opened it a little and peeked inside — as if some giant pair of bad organic mom jeans were going to jump out of the box and attack me. But I was pleasantly surprised. I love these jeans and since jeans are a very toxic product to make (more on that later), the Earth loves these jeans too.
4. Toms shoes — For every pair of Toms shoes you buy, Toms gives a pair of shoes to a child in need. So while they aren’t organic, I’m still putting Toms shoes in the eco-mama category. My Toms are by far the most comfortable shoe I’ve worn throughout my entire fashion experiment this year. They’re like bedroom slippers with a conscience.
5. The jewelry and belt — I’ve had so long that I kind of consider them green – kind of like saving wrapping paper or eating leftovers or re-using a ziplock bag so much it gets all grey and narly and you can’t bear the thought of eating whatever it is you put inside of it.
As far as organic underwear and bras go, yes, I’m committed to wearing them, but I’ve had some major online debacles in this area.
Let’s just say a natural hemp bra isn’t as flattering as one would hope…
What do you think of this outfit? Success? Cute? A little boring? After my Arty Slick month I felt today like my clothes suddenly got a little too normal.