It’s time for a Halloween fashion challenge!

Eco Mama – Day 19

Thanks for all your comments about the sad evolution of slutty Halloween costumes.  I think I’m definitely going to modify mine into something that won’t make me horribly embarrassed for years to come.

sexy_pirates

And I know I should’ve probably just made my own pirate costume with my daughter – that would have been a fun, bonding experience for both of us and would definitely ensure costume appropriate-ness.  But our youngest son, August, just turned four and in stores he is still a runner.. a grabber… and an enemy to all lovely looking displays (all of you moms out there with a runner/grabber know what I’m talking about).  Craft stores are so very unpleasant with August and I can’t even imagine leisurely shopping for pieces of a homemade costume with him.  Maybe next year, but for now, we’re all about complete costumes in plastic bags… with modifications added for comfort, modesty and a place to stick my cell phone, of course.

And now, onto the fashion challenge!

The prize?

Arty_Slick_Tiger_Bamboo

A super awesome cheetah shirt from my Arty Slick days.  It’s a t-shirt that instantly creates an entire outfit!  Size medium.  Forever 21.

The Question?

What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?

You have until tomorrow (Sunday).  As always, my kids will pick the winner at random.  Good luck!

• Von says:

I went as Poison Ivy from Batman but if I win you’ll have to ask the kiddies to draw a second name as I’m far away.

• Rochelle says:

Hope I’m not too late – Bearded Lady. Wore a dress and looked normal from the back, but had a mustache and beard glued to my face. Freaked my kids out.

• rednalgne says:

I’m looking at an old photo with me in costume. Can’t make out what I was supposed to be, dark navy blue with gold stars, ribbons and some illustrated animal with big bushy tail. It looks nice but no 5 year old would wear it today.

Check out this video, towards the end there are a few ideas for accessorizing hand made costumes.

• Hassanah says:

I was crafty growing up, so I have a list of my best ones (all homemade): Hamburglar, Humpty Dumpty, Santa, red Pringles can, and Strawberry Shortcake.

• Rebeccah says:

I was a pizza one year as a kid – painted two huge circles of cardboard and wore them connected over my shoulders with straps. I even made a hat from a pizza box

• Cheryl says:

My mom is an attic hoarder and I was exploring in there at the age of 11 when i found her old baton twirling costume. It really intrigued me. I wore it, mothball smell and all, and patiently explained to the 426 people who asked what I was. I loved that it was real. A real baton was twirled in this costume for real. It was authentic.

• Lauren says:

My favorite homemade costume was a Raggedy Ann costume that my super-crafty and creative mom made (the same year that my brother was Indiana Jones). She did a red yarn wig, made me a blue polka-dot dress, and I wore one of her aprons. She drew red lines around the top of a pair of my dad’s socks, and I wore black dress shoes. Add circles of lipstick on my cheek, and I was done!

But my funniest costume was a couples’ costume party a few years ago. My hubby and I were at a total loss until we found a huge foam tie-on butt (yep, Google it…they’re out there!). So he dressed up as a cowboy with a guitar, and I dressed up as a (not slutty) cowgirl in a pair of his oversized blue jeans and the butt. We were a Honky Tonk Badonk-a-donk…get it? :)

• Lisa says:

My “best” costume was probably the scratchy, satin Cinderella nightmare my mother lovingly slaved over for me when I was 6 years old (I actually wanted to be Yoda from Star Wars, but I was her only girl child and she was living VERY vicariously through me, so….) but my actual best costume was probably the next Halloween, when I got to wear my older brother’s (previous years) Yoda costume. I came home from Trick or Treating with a pillow case full of candy and no skin rashes whatsoever. WIN!

• Kirsten says:

I was the night sky one year in college. Found a cool gold crescent moon mask. Then I wore all black and just stuck gold star stickers all over myself. Only downside was getting some of the stickers out of the laundry later on :(

• Heidi J says:

I dressed up as a gypsy once by layering things that I had laying around the house. It actually turned out rather well.

• Angela says:

I was a costume design intern at a small professional theater one fall, so they dressed me in one of the costumes from that summer’s production of “The Man of La Mancha”. So, not only did I look totally awesome as Aldonza/Dulcinea for Halloween – it was by virtually no effort on my part :D

I love costumes so I’ll just share another one… As a kid my parents made us a horse out of a box that we wore, we recycled that for many years: cowgirl, princess on a unicorn after adding a horn, or adding rockers to make it into a rocking horse, etc. (kind of like this but made out of cardboard and without the horse legs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horse-Childrens-Cowboy-Costume-Outfit/dp/B00E9W3CIW/ref=sr_1_16/279-5950467-4413100?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1382233876&sr=1-16)

Wow — that sounds great. And it’s amazing that you got so many uses out of a box — it’s still the best toy around.

• Marisa says:

I went as Rosie the Riveter a few years ago – it was super fun. Most people got it, and wanted me to flex for them in that classic Rosie pose. I still use one of the photos from that party as my avatar some places.

• Marge in Maryland says:

My favorite costume was when I was Scarlett O’Hara. My mom took a long dress and actually sewed wooden hoops into it. I also had the hat to go with it. I wish we’d had a picture of that costume.

• vkm248@yahoo.com says:

i had 2 favs from when i was a kid…..one year my dad dressed me up like a hobo (his hat and tie, my brother’s sunday school shoes, dad’s pants with suspenders, dad’s jackets, grease paint on my face, an cigar (still in plastic) dad got when some guy he worked with had a baby) and nap-sack on a stick….no one at school, not even the teacher, guessed who i was in the paraded…..the other was one year when i was a flapper, mom made me a straight dress and sewed rows and rows of fringe down it from shoulder to hem and a matching headband, red lipstick and eyes done up and my sunday school kitten heels.
    side bar: i work at a car auction one day a week…..a car dealer, FOR REAL, had the exact same shirt you are giving away on!!!! hahaha. the even sadder part was he was a “chubby” guy, had “man-boobs” and the cats eyes fell right where, shall we say, pasties would go?….he made us laugh all day long!!!!

• Ann Ehlert says:

I was all three Charlie’s Angels. I was the middle one and I cut out sillouettes that were glued to my back as my side kicks. You had to be there to get it. :)

• Amy says:

Aak – it’s one of my favorite of your shirts! I actually went to Forever21 yesterday hoping to find it (I didn’t though)… As far as Halloween costumes.. hmm… I was Mary Poppins last year, that was fun. I think I’ll call that my favorite, since I’m not remembering a whole lot of costumes at the moment :)