And my style is….??????

A Year in Review – Day 31

….. I still don’t know!  Can you believe it?  After an entire year and ten styles later, you’d think I’d be able to pick one style.  I mean, that would make life so simple, wouldn’t it?  Okay, so let’s say I picked Rock and Roll — All I’d have to do is put on a dog collar and Pat Benatar t-shirt and off I go to preschool drop off.  I would no longer have to think about clothes so much.  I could think about things like bio-chemistry and world geography and how to use a spray tanner… But Rock and Roll isn’t me…

None of the styles are completely me.

After this bracing realization sunk in, instead of getting frustrated, I decided to take a different approach.  I decided to steer away from picking one particular style and just ask myself this question instead —

“What do I do all day?”

And suddenly, a ton of banal, non-glamorous tasks popped into my head — Things like clean the kitchen, chauffeur kids around, feed pigs (literally), go to the grocery, do laundry, return books to the library… the list goes on and on.  And none of my daily tasks are anywhere close to the glamorous tasks in fashion magazines.  You know those articles where they lay out an outfit and have a cute title with it like, “Weekend getaway” or “Bridal Shower” or “Quickie in the copy room with the married water delivery guy.”

Since becoming a mom I’ve just assumed that every day I do “nothing” because my day isn’t all that terribly exciting — no bungee jumping, eating dangerous sushi or hooking up with random strangers.  But I am doing things — I’m doing lots of things all day — In fact, I barely sit down and I should stop comparing myself to invisible more exciting people and start showing up — dressing really well — to my own life.

So I picked five areas in my life that I need outfits for and then went in search of those outfits — regardless of style — I just found clothes that felt like me.

So here they are — These are my first attempts at “Holly Style”

1.  The Errand Outfit

Pear_2

I do errands every single day of the week, usually with kids in tow.  I’m never going to escape doing errands, so I might as well have a cute outfit on.  This outfit is completely comfortable and casual and I could go from the bank, to the park, to the grocery in it without ever wanting to tear it off, run home and go put on a pair of sweatpants.

Boots

It’s basically a jazzed up version a typical mom uniform — I just replaced the mom jeans with cute jewel-toned cords and the white mom sneakers with comfy boots.  The pear sweater (J Crew) is a fun touch and it’s wash and wear so my kids can sneeze on me all they want.  I can throw the whole outfit in the wash!

2.  The Mom’s Night Out Outfit

Mom'sNIght

When my friends and I go out we always do the same thing – sit at a restaurant and talk for hours and then maybe catch a late movie.  It’s not wild, but it’s so much fun.

MomsNight2

So for my “Mom’s Night Out” look I picked a cute Michael Stars Cheetah top (Thred Up), really comfortable Vera Wang boyfriend jeans (Goodwill) and super high heels because I’m not going to be walking very far.  I’ve learned this year that uncomfortable shoes are great for “sitting” situations.

3.  The Work Outfit

Work!

As a writer, sometimes I have meetings and want to look put together, but casual.  Writers, unless you’re Danielle Steele, don’t usually dress up and comedy writers never dress up.  I think this outfit helps me blend in with the pack without looking frumpy.

4.  The Date Night Outfit

DianeVF

My husband and I don’t go out on dates as often as we should, but when we do I like to pretend that he hasn’t seen me at my worst (stomach flu, giving birth) and that we’re actually trying to still look attractive for each other.  I found this DIANE VON FURSTENBERG wrap dress at a consignment store for THIRTY DOLLARS.  Since most DVF wrap dresses are three hundred dollars, I couldn’t believe my good fortune.  I made the mistake of wearing the wrong colored tank with this dress (off-white), so it looks kind of strange.  But for my actual date night with my husband I will wear a much darker tank and I think this dress will look great!

5.  The Farm Outfit

Last_looksGoat

I chose this Free People ensemble for my farm outfit.  We have friends over a lot and I thought this outfit was so “farm chic”.  It’s so comfortable (thanks to the fleece-lined tights) and casual enough for brunch or a BBQ.  And as you can see, it’s totally goat-friendly.

So that’s it!  What do you think of my choices?  Would you say I picked a style or do the clothes look like a bunch of different styles?  I can’t wait to hear!

And most importantly, am I on the right track?

• Juli says:

Congratulations! I haven’t been able to follow every post but it always makes me smile when I do. Being a Mom is soooooo challenging — I know. There is nothing more defeating than having a great crisp white blouse and then….forgetting and serving dinner….or making bacon….or worse a smoothie….been there, done that, changed, and doused with Shout.

Schlepping groceries in heels just ain’t gonna happen either.

But hats off to you for recognizing how a happy life justifies all the limitations!

Thanks! I don’t think most of society realizes how hard it is for moms to dress in a fashionable way — we have a lot of obstacles!

• Ditto on what the other ladies said–love the do! Like your newly discovered style, it’s fun, flattering and a little bit sassy.

I also find myself dressing in different ways depending on what I’m up to or where I’m going. My 5 levels of mama outfits are very similar. I have Weekend Casual (aka the Errand Outfit), Weekend Chic (Mom’s Night Out), Casual Friday (similar to your work outfit), Date Night (it’s universal!) and because I work full-time in an office (albeit a somewhat casual one) Client Meeting.

The through-lines that define your personal style are the shapes and colors and details that are present regardless of how casual or not an outfit is. For you, I see bolder prints (the divine DVF dress, the leopard print top, the plaid shirt) mixed with classic casual pieces in relaxed but streamlined shapes. Your accessories are simple but carefully chosen: a bold buckled belt, super cute boots, colorful sandals.

I would love to see you do 30 days of your new Holly Style! I’d be willing to bet at the end of it you’ll know exactly what your ideal wardrobe looks like.

• Kiera says:

Well done! I’ve been following quietly from the sidelines, cheering you on. I LOVE these outfits you put together and really need to take your hint to get a few excellent ensembles nailed down. (Your hair looks great, btw!) Thanks for experimenting for the betterment of all of us!

• Lauren says:

I love your haircut and all your outfits! You look comfortable and put-together, but not forced. It is really inspiring that you tried so much and then ended up with something that was so completely YOU. As I read your posts this year, I found myself picking and choosing elements of styles that I liked, and I kind of wondered what that “made” me. I think you really got it right; everything is workable, practical when necessary, and still cute. You seem so confident, and it was such a pleasure reading about your journey this year!

• Allison says:

These all look great! Practical, but still stylish. It’s been fascinating reading about you trying out these styles and hearing about the way each one made you feel or how people treated you differently. It’s so easy to dismiss fashion as frivilous, but it has such an unconscious effect on all of us, both how we feel wearing it and what we assume about others as a first impression.

• Laura says:

Yay Holly! It’s been so much fun following you on this journey- thank you for sharing it! I love this statement: “I’m doing lots of things all day — In fact, I barely sit down and I should stop comparing myself to invisible more exciting people and start showing up — dressing really well — to my own life.” Hurray to that. You look terrific.

• Megan says:

Yes on that great cut! You look better in these pics than all the others. Animal print and jeans look super cute on you. Yay Holly

I love animal prints — who knew????? Thanks for all your help Megan — I still need to give you back your shoes!

• Katie says:

Your haircut looks so good.
    Love that you are doing your own style now! This is the part I was waiting for!

• Kelley says:

Love your style! Love your hair! Totally nailed it. Thanks for taking us on this journey with you this year… I always looked forward to the beginning of each month to see what your style would be. Super fun and entertaining.

• JoulesDellinger says:

I love every single one of the outfits, especially that you look so happy and energized in each one! BTW, I’m totally planning to post a “how to wear a wrap dress without flashing people” blog this month… ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR and enjoy your time off from blogging!

Wow! I can’t wait to read your wrap dress post because I could not believe how gaping this wrap dress was!

• Jackie says:

Wow! I love the cheetah print and gold necklace combo. And your belted plaid dress with boots is so perfect. But best of all is you look really happy and comfortable! Well done.

• Jennifer says:

I love all the different outfits you created, and I really love your new haircut. I’m looking forward to the continuation of your blog in 2014!

• Jen M says:

With that hair you could go back to the mom jeans and still look great!

• caroline says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

• Bo says:

You look awesome and everything looks so great on you! Love your hair too..The only thing I don’t picture you really wearing is a pear on your shirt-it’s too grammaish. And really you look so great in jeans, I am not sure why you would ever want to get away from jeans..it’s like that ‘zen teachings of jesus’ book. where the author said…”I left Jesus to search for the Tao when I was sixteen,” writes Kenneth Leong. “Now I am forty and realize that I could have found the Tao in Jesus.” You left your mom jeans to find your style….yet you could have found your style in your mom jeans :) Yes I have lost my mind on this New Years Day!

you don’t like my pear sweater???? I am wearing jeans in that moms night out picture. I will always wear jeans — but never buy new ones again because of how they are processed. Happy new year to you! I have almost finished all my candy!

• Steph says:

You did it! Nailed your own style and hair! Way to go Holly! Happy New Year and look forward to all the 2014 adventures! x
    ps. Don’t forget to add in your red lipstick this year! :)

• Melissa says:

I LOVE your hair cut!

And this is probably my favorite post all year. I can’t try on all the different styles, but I CAN sit down and think about my typical needs and look for what works for me. This made the whole idea of finding a style for me seem so much more doable!

• Laur says:

I truly love all the styles. However, I REALLY love the new hair cut. Your hair ‘STYLIST’ nailed that one whoever she/he/you may be. Also, the picture of you in “the Work Outfit” looks like a young Martha Stewart. Thank you for a great year of style. You have inspired me, and also really made me chuckle a lot. Have a wonderful New Year!!

• Kris M. says:

I like your Holly style. There are so many varieties of styles but it is hard to fit into just one. Location (Pacific Northwest vs. New York) and everyday activities (stay at home mom vs. career woman) make a difference too. I think we should all strive to be the best version of ourselves. I have decide that my style is comfortable, colorful, slightly classy, and slightly quirky.

• Rochelle says:

Good job on finding Holly Style! I especially like your girls’ night outfit. I was wondering how (and why) you were going to pick just one “defined” style. I think your solution is much more in line with what you were trying to discover this year. Great haircut, too!

• Louise says:

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this fun and funny year of your life. I enjoyed every post, and think you ended up in exactly the right place. You look relaxed and happy in these final photos; good job!

• Jen S. says:

They look like YOU! I love all of them!

• boccann says:

Ditto everything already commented, double ditto the hair. What an adventure! What a fun year for the family to always remember! Congrats Holly.

• Lacey says:

All of the outfits you put together look terrific and more importantly, like ‘you.’ You don’t look like you’re trying to dress a certain way, they just seem put together and you look confident and natural wearing them. Mission accomplished! (love the Errand outfit!)

• Juniper says:

Fabulous!
    I really feel like I can try this at home (bonus: time to sort through my closet – out with the old, in with the mom-chic)!
    Great categorization…I’m inspired!

Thanks! Sorting through the closet is a great thing to do in January, isn’t it? Makes the year feel brand new.

• I love the farm outfit! And your new hair cut is so cute! I think these will work perfectly with your life–and that is what you want out of your clothes, right?

Thanks. Yes, I think so many of us look to others for styles and they just don’t work for our lifestyle.

• Angela says:

Love it! I especially love your farm outfit – I need to get myself some boots!

• Kristi says:

I love the idea of coming up with uniforms based on life situations. I realized as I read this that that’s what I have done without thinking about it. And I think you look great, and like you instead of a made-up persona. I’m impressed with how far you have come in a year!

• Karla says:

1. Your hair is fantastic. 2. I absolutely like your style vs the pigeonhold of one such specific style. You look amazing and have handled this year with grace and humor. Looking forward to following you in 2014!

• Janice says:

Love all the looks and your hair! I have enjoyed reading your blog and it’s helped me come out of my style shell. Thank you!

• Becky says:

I think this is a great solution! And, I also love the hair! I can’t wait to see what the New Year brings!

• Heather Carella says:

One word….HAIR!!!! Your new doo rocks! It makes you instantly stylish no matter what you wear or do! I don’t think anyone has looked so amazing standing next to a goat! I have enjoyed reading about your year of finding your personal style. I’m a bit schizophrenic (style wise) depending on my mood and the weather. I like so many aspects of fashion, but find myself in workout clothes more than not. And yes most of the time I’ve made a feeble attempt to actually go to the gym. So I’ve embraced the look and have added to that wardrobe to spice it up and make it transition into my personal style. Whatever style you choose, wear it with confidence. Thanks for the fashion adventure!

• Miranda says:

I am proud of you for taking away such a cute style that is all your own. Great job!

• thebooglett says:

Dead on balls accurate. We’ll done. LOVE the hair…..looks awesome!

• suzanne hue says:

You look great in all of these outfits not to mention the cute hair.
    I think its fun to mix it up.
    Happy New Year to the whole gang!

• Marisa says:

These are all great – def. on the right track :-)

• Lindsay says:

Fleece lined tights? Tell me more… It hasn’t been above zero in days. I need some of those!

I got mine off amazon. I don’t know how they would do in zero degree weather but they are really comfortable!

• Angela says:

You look AMAZING! You look chic, approachable, capable, and like how I imagine you to be. I’ve enjoyed this blog so so much, and have learned right along with you! Love the bob too! Congrats!

• natalie says:

The way you broke down your Holly style is amazing and I would have never thought to have a different momiform for each area rather than just.one style! I have 5 month old twins and a two and a half yr old.y areas would include library day (bending and sitting), date night, sister/girls nights, outside or childrens museum, chores and teaching dance.. plus nursing. Thanks for the inspiration!

You have five month old twins and a two and a half year old! You go girl! I can’t imagine! I think a library outfit would be really fun to create — we go there all the time.